News, comments, resources, and more for nonprofits.
Just ONEthing - March 2014
Every month, we learn much from the participants and presenters we meet at ONEplace. In Just ONEthing… we highlight an insight gained during the past month from our nonprofit community and its partners.
This month’s insight comes from Janice Maatman, Director of Nonprofit Education Programs at WMU, who recently presented an ethics seminar to the ONEplace Nonprofit Leadership Academy. Quoting from Ethics in Nonprofit Management by Thomas Jeavons, Jan said, “Trust is the lifeblood of any organization.” She then highlighted five attributes of trust:
- Integrity – continuity between talk & walk, internal & external
- Openness – “is it OK if your 6 year-old sees you doing it?” transparency
- Accountability – you can explain your choices
- Service to a cause – focusing beyond your own organization
- Charity – generosity not out of pity but out of a sense of compassion