Staff Picks: Books
Staff-recommended reading from the
…..National Library Week, that is. We join libraries across the country in celebrating April 11 – 17 as National Library Week to highlight the value of all types of libraries and their contributions to our community.
Neil Gaiman, winner of the 2009 Newbery Medal for The Graveyard Book, is the honorary chair of this year’s celebration, and the theme is “Communities Thrive @ Your Library.” Learn more... PDF
It’s a good time to remind our community of library services and especially to highlight them during tough economic times. KPL, like most public libraries, provides free access to computers, helps with homework, offers computer classes, and of course, loans books, DVDs, and CDs. We also offer a variety of programs for all ages – leisure and informational.
In addition to the weekly designation, each day will have a special library significance:
- Monday, April 12 – “The State of America’s Public Libraries” report will be released
- Tuesday, April 13 – Celebrate “National Library Workers Day”
- Wednesday, April 14 – Release of the “Top 10 Most Challenged Books of 2009” list
- Thursday, April 15 – Celebrate “Support Teen Literature Day”
- And all of April is “School Library Month”, our partners in working with youth
Well, it might not rank up there with some other weekly designation, but those of us in libraries think it’s pretty important and appreciate the attention it brings to us.
And happy NLW to you – celebrate with a visit to any of our locations.
National Library Week