Staff Picks: Books
Staff-recommended reading from the
A Wonderful Year of Discussions
The Oshtemo Book Group has had a wonderful year of discussions about a variety of books. We ended the 2009-10 season with a “Readers Choice” roundtable where everyone could share a book they particularly enjoyed.
Not surprisingly, each book mentioned was a top favorite of the reader, and we all added that title to our “must read” list.
We were surprised that so many of the titles fell under the “historical fiction” category, but not all. There were several nonfiction books and a Pulitzer Prize winner as well.
So if you are looking for a good summer read you might want to check out the following titles:
- Winter Garden, Kristin Hannah
- Day after Night, Anita Diamant
- Left to Tell, Immaculee Ilibagiza
- Night Fall and Wild Fire, Nelson DeMille
- Olive Kitteridge, Elizabeth Strout
- Dogs of Bedlam Farms, Jon Katz
- Enchantment, Orson Scott Card
- Heat: an amateur's adventures as kitchen slave, line cook, pasta maker, and apprentice to a Dante-quoting butcher in Tuscany, Bill Buford
- Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett
- Madonnas of Leningrad, Debra Dean
- Stitches, David Small
- Nineteenth Wife, David Ebershoff
- Making Rounds with Oscar, David Dosa
- Little Bee, Chris Cleave
Oshtemo Book Group