From the Director
Library news and happenings.
Statewide Library Statistics
The Library of Michigan has just released the 2009 edition of Michigan Public Libraries Data Digest, a compilation of activity in our state’s public libraries. The data is pulled from the annual reports we all submit to the state and covers fiscal year 2008/2009.
The digest includes a brief five year comparison between 2003 and 2008. Numbers / usage is up in all areas: items available, hours open to the public, programs offered, use of computers. This growth, during a time of reduced budgets for many public libraries, is encouraging. Many libraries, including KPL, have reduced hours, tightened materials budgets, and reexamined programming.
In other interesting, fun statistics:
- Michigan public libraries hold over 35 million books, almost four for every resident.
- Each resident checks out an average of over 8 items per year.
- Public libraries entertained and educated over 2.5 million people with our programs.
- We received 52.7 million visitors, double the number of visitors to our state parks.
- Combined, Michigan public libraries encompass more than 5 times the size of Ford Field Football Stadium!
Come visit soon – check out “your” four books, attend a program, use a computer, ask a question.
Michigan Public Libraries Data Digest