Weekly Specials, News & More
This week in the bookstore:
• A select group of paperback and hard cover mystery is priced at only 50¢ each – try a new author
• A 2000 World Book Encyclopedia Set (22 volumes) for $50.00
• DVDs and CDs for only $2.50 each
• Great Art books!
• James Patterson’s 12th of Never, Clive Cussler’s Zero Hour, and Nora Robert’s Whiskey Beach, along with many other new releases
“Books are everywhere; and always the same sense of adventure fills us. Second-hand books are wild books, homeless books; they have come together in vast flocks of variegated feather, and have a charm which the domesticated volumes of the library lack. Besides, in this random miscellaneous company we may rub against some complete stranger who will, with luck, turn into the best friend we have in the world.”
― Virginia Woolf, Street Haunting
I love both the “wild, homeless books” and the “domesticated volumes” and happily we have access to both at KPL and Friends of KPL. Plan to visit this week, the adventure awaits you! ~ Carol
Literary (Trade) Fiction is still 1/2 off this week.
- All literary fiction (a.k.a. trade fiction) is ½ off – normally $2.00, only $1.00 this week!
- Lots more great art books
- A wonderful selection of music book; books about music, instrument construction, and musicians
- Great donations this week means great choices for you!
We’ve put together a couple of great collections in the bookstore this week. We received an awesome donation of art books recently. You’ll find art by Diego Rivera, Cezanne, Magritte, Gauguin, and many others. You’ll also find a bit of how to – art technique books and books on design and architecture.
The second special collection we put out is what we call “Hobbies and How to” this category consists of books on crafts, games, collectibles, home improvement, needlecraft, and photography. You’re sure to find something to inspire you here.
If local history interests you; if you enjoy reading about local people, architecture, ecology, and events, both past and present, you’ll want to take a look at our Michigan Books collection. Here are just a few of the books you’ll find in the store when we open on Wednesday:
• Kalamazoo: Nineteenth Century Homes in a Midwestern Village by Schmitt and Korab – Beautiful photographs that provide an inventory of historic homes in Kalamazoo
• The Events of October by Griffin - The story of a devastating murder on the campus of Kalamazoo College
• A 1000 Mile Walk on the Beach by Niewenhuis – One woman’s trek of the perimeter of Lake Michigan
• Cooper Trails and Iron Rails by Massie – A fascinating look at Michigan’s history
• Michigan Gardener’s Guide by Boland, Coit, and Hair – The what, where, when, how & why of Michigan gardening
Super Saturday Sidewalk Sale is this Saturday! I love this sale and this day in downtown Kalamazoo. There’s so much going on in Kzoo that day; the book sale, Do Dah Parade, Greek Fest, and so much more. The energy level is high and everywhere you look people are having a good time! Come enjoy the fun, stock up on books for 10¢ each or bring a grocery-size bag and fill it up for $2.00. When you buy books in the sale you get a coupon to use in the store. And don’t make the mistake of neglecting the store on Saturday, you’ll find all sorts of great deals inside too. If you read my blog or if you read this on Facebook, take a minute and say hi if you see me. I love to make those personal connections with other book lovers!
Come on down and see us this week. We put out lots of new stuff on Monday and Tuesday. If you’re here at noon on Wednesday you’ll get first pick of all the new books shelved this week. But we put out new books almost every day so any day is a good day to shop at the Friends Bookstore.
Our science-fiction BOGO continues this week – with new books added daily. We put out a lot of great science and nature this week and also have a $1.00 science and nature cart with lots of bargains on it. You’ll also find sale carts of military history and black studies, both marked 1/2 off.
Here are two sales to check out at the Friends Bookstore this week:
- Select Science Fiction is Buy One (for $1.00) and Get One Free
- Select Black Studies is ½ off our regular low prices
Good selection at great prices!
Also, we put out an exceptionally nice selection of art books this week. If you enjoy art books, hurry down, these always go fast.
Five Reasons You Should Buy Your Mom’s Mother’s Day Gift at the Friends:
1) Great low prices mean you can buy lots of books, DVDs, CDs, and/or audio books.
2) Great selection means you’re sure to find something your mom will like.
3) Gift Certificates are available, so you can let Mom enjoy choosing her own books.
4) Your mom will appreciate how thrifty and sensible you are.
5) Your mom will be proud and happy that you got her a great gift while supporting your local library!
Check out our pre-selected Mother’s Day books that are ½ off this week, but don’t limit yourself to our selection, there are many books throughout the store that will make wonderful gifts.
One of the things that keep people coming back again and again to the Friends Bookstore is the element of surprise. You never know what will be available from week to week. Each time you visit the store you will see something different; you might find a collectible vintage volume or a New York Times Best Seller. Here’s just a sample of the many hundreds of books put out this week:
• The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachael Joyce
• The Trials of Lenny Bruce – the Fall and Rise of an American Icon, with CD, by Collins & Skover
• The Striker by Clive Cussler
• The Plan of Chicago – Daniel Burnham and the Remaking of the American City, by Carl Smith
• Netherlanders in America, A Study of Emigration and Settlement in the 19th and 20th Centuries in the United States of America by Jacob Van Hinte ( a hefty 1155 page tome)
• Alex Cross, Run by James Patterson
• The Tin Ticket, The Heroic Journey of Australia’s Convict Women by Deborah J. Swiss
• The Kalamazoo County Polk Directory 2012
• 250 new children’s picture books!