Position Summary: The custodian position is responsible for cleaning and maintaining the library’s public and office environments. This position serves both the Central and Alma/Powell locations.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Performs routine and comprehensive custodial care and maintenance of assigned facilities, furnishings, and
• Monitors building conditions and reports problems.
• Reports and responds to emergency calls for custodial assistance.
• Cover for absences at other branches as needed.
• Uses library systems to communicate work area problems and to correspond on progress of work.
• Acts as a steward for maintaining FM’s policies and guidelines throughout KPL.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Ability to acquire and retain a chauffeur’s license.
• Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
• Evidence of excellent attendance, punctuality and dependability.
• Ability to use cleaning materials and equipment with skill, efficiency, and safety.
• Ability to operate buffers, scrubbers, vacuum cleaners, lawn mowers and other equipment.
• Ability to meet the physical demands of the position as listed below.
Physical demands and work environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to travel independently within all areas of the library facilities. In the work environment, described below the position requires verbal and written communication with others, sitting, standing, walking; use hands to finger, handle or feel tools, objects or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Work environment: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; and outside weather conditions. Approximately 75% of the duties of this job are performed within a library/office environment.
Schedule: 25 hours weekly; Monday – Friday 7 am to 12pm
Salary: $9.85 - $15.35 per hour
Start date: Immediately
Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.