The library accepts online applications only. If you require assistance or an accommodation to complete the application process, please call Human Resources at 269-553-7931. The library does not accept unsolicited resumes. You may apply for a specific job posting or for a position for which there is a continuous recruitment process (such as Library Aide).
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Equal Employment Opportunity is a fundamental principle at the Kalamazoo Public Library, where employment opportunities, development and advancement are based on job qualifications without discrimination based on race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, national origin, veteran status, disability, height, weight, familial status, marital status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Kalamazoo Public Library’s commitment to equal opportunity is applied to all personnel policies and practices, including but not limited to, recruitment and hiring, training, promotion , transfer, compensation, benefits, discipline, termination as well as social and recreational activities. The library will make reasonable accommodations for employees and job applicants with disabilities.
The library respects the diversity that exists within our community and among our employees and strives to maintain a workplace culture based on inclusiveness where respect, equity and positive recognition of differences are cultivated.
Tips for Applicants
- You will need to have a valid email address. You will be asked to create a username and password when registering on the application website.
- Read the job posting carefully before you complete your application. Note the minimum qualifications, schedule requirements, physical demands and work environment.
- Provide details of your work history. Provide descriptions of duties and responsibilities.
- Fill out the application completely. Make sure you have everything you need to know with you: dates of previous employment, names and addresses of previous employers, supervisor’s name and contact information. Demonstrate in your application why you are qualified for this position.
- Read and follow instructions carefully. Ensure that you complete all application requirements listed on the job posting. Incomplete applications may not be accepted.
- Submit materials electronically. You will have the ability to add your resume and cover letter to your application.
- Read the attestation carefully before signing and submitting your application.
Current Job Listings
Professional Substitute Librarian
Please Note: Applications for this position are accepted on an ongoing basis.
Position Summary: Responsible for duties that support reference and reader’s advisory services at children’s, teen and adult public service desks.
Duties and Responsibilities
Assists patrons at adult public service desks: helps locate materials; answers reference and reader’s advisory questions; instructs patrons in use of all library resources.
1. Master’s degree from an ALA accredited library school with coursework pertaining to public libraries.
2. Basic knowledge of library operations
Physical demands and work environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to travel independently within the office and patron areas of the library and in the communities served. In the work environments described below, the position requires verbal and written conversation with others, sitting, standing, walking, reaching, lifting/moving objects up to 25 pounds, and use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The position occasionally requires standing, walking, sitting and speaking for extended periods of time. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision.
• Work environment: Work will be performed in an office environment, library spaces, and in the communities served. Some local travel outside the library is required. While performing the duties of this job outside of the library environment, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Schedule: Days, evenings and weekends as needed.
Salary: $18.25 per hour