Posted: December 21, 2016. Deadline for applications: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 5 pm.
Position Summary: Responsible for performing a broad spectrum of facilities maintenance and custodial functions to ensure the operating excellence, cleanliness and safety of library facilities and grounds under the direct supervision of the Head of Facilities Management and the general direction of the head custodian and evening lead custodian.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Cleans buildings, furnishings, and equipment to achieve an established cleaning standard; organizes cleaning closet and supply storage areas; keeps cleaning equipment in good condition; recycles or discards trash; requests supplies and equipment repairs as needed.
- Performs routine building and grounds maintenance work: maintains parking lots, sidewalks, and building entrances; removes snow; applies de-icer; mows grass; checks exterior lighting; unclogs plumbing fixtures; assembles and moves furniture, maintains equipment; performs minor carpentry and painting tasks; changes light bulbs.
- Trains and oversees work of hourly custodians; checks their work, ensures satisfactory work outcomes.
- Performs meeting room set-ups and monitors conditions; assists meeting room users as needed; secures meeting rooms after use.
- Performs assigned work order requests according to priority.
- Takes responsibility and initiative to respond to typical FM needs and emergency situations using established procedures and good judgment.
- Follows established procedures for responding to emergency alarms.
- Ensures compliance with local and state building codes as directed by supervisor.
- Performs building maintenance functions including basic plumbing repairs, cleaning equipment maintenance, basic troubleshooting of lighting and electrical problems and interior finish repairs.
- Performs commercial floor care including hard surface stripping, waxing and buffing and specialty polishing.
- Opens, closes, and secures library following established procedures; operates security systems and lighting; checks temperatures and other building conditions before opening and after closing.
- Participates in departmental meetings, library-wide committees, and training opportunities.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a chauffer’s license.
- Prior successful custodial and/or building care experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Word and Outlook programs with general knowledge of electronic file management.
Physical demands and work environment
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Physical demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to travel independently within the office and patron areas of the library and in the communities served. In the work environments described below, the position requires verbal and written conversation with others, sitting, standing, walking, reaching, lifting/moving objects up to 50 pounds regularly, 100 pounds occasionally, and use of hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls. The position regularly requires standing, walking, sitting and speaking for extended periods of time. Performing work while standing on both step and extension ladders, and climbing vertically mounted ladders required. Vision abilities required by the job include close vision.
• Work environment: Work will be performed in an office environment, library spaces, and in the communities served. Some local travel outside the library is required. While performing the duties of this job outside of the
library environment, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
Salary: $33,600 annually; Entry level; fully paid dental, vision, and life insurance; fully paid retirement; medical insurance; vacation, sick leave, and holidays.
Schedule: Monday – Friday 3:30 pm – 12 am.
Deadline for applications: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 at 5 pm.