- To promote the love of reading (and have fun)
- To promote the use of public libraries as neighborhood and community resource centers
- To introduce children to a wide variety of literature and multicultural reading materials (and have fun)
- To provide a recreational outlet for readers
- To encourage children to participate in a group activity (and have fun)
- To encourage children to read for retention
- To provide positive experiences between children, librarians, teachers, and parents (and have fun)
- To form partnership with local schools and businesses, and strengthen community ties
- To build confidence and integrity in young readers (and have fun)
- To participate in a public library activity that promotes reading as a pleasurable lifelong experience.
Teacher and Coach Guidebook
The Global Reading Challenge Teacher and Coach Guidebook is available in Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF).
2012 Teacher and Coach Guide PDF