Summer is Here! Central Library will close at 6 pm on Thursdays and will be closed Sundays until September. Enjoy!

Expungement of Criminal Convictions

The statutory procedure for setting aside convictions in Michigan is as follows.

MCLA 780.621.Motion to set aside conviction;

Sec. 1. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person who is convicted of not more than 1 offense may file an application with the convicting court for the entry of an order setting aside the conviction.

(2) A person shall not apply to have set aside, and a judge shall not set aside, a conviction for a felony for which the maximum punishment is life imprisonment or an attempt to commit a felony for which the maximum punishment is life imprisonment, a conviction for a violation or attempted violation of sections 750.520c, 750.520d, and 750.520g; being second and third degree criminal sexual conduct, assault with intent to commit criminal sexual conduct, or a conviction for a traffic offense.

(3) An application shall not be filed until the expiration of 5 years following imposition of the sentence for the conviction that the applicant seeks to set aside or 5 years following completion of any term of imprisonment for that conviction, whichever occurs later.

Application to Set Aside Conviction is Michigan Approved Court (Form MC-227). This form is available at Kalamazoo Public Library or on the web at or the court clerk’s office.

If you are applying to set aside a juvenile adjudication, use the form called Application to Set Aside Adjudication (Form JC-66). If you were a juvenile who was tried as an adult, you need to use the form Application to Set Aside Conviction (Form MC-227).

Source: MCLA (Michigan Compiled Laws Annotated)

The information presented here is not intended to be a substitute for legal advice or representation. You should talk with an attorney if you have any questions about how this information applies to your own problem or facts.