Hillcrest Elementary School

hillcrest-school-410 

Hillcrest Elementary School, Kalamazoo, 1940, probably photographed
by Mamie L. Austin.
Source: Kalamazoo Public Library Photo P-1017

Building Chronology

1925

Voters approved construction of a school building at 1401 Cherry St. in the Hillcrest Neighborhood off Oakland Drive. [Board of Education Minutes, 1925-1926]

1925

Architect Milton C. J. Billingham of Billingham and Cobb presented plans for Hillcrest Elementary School.  [Board of Education Minutes, 1925-1926]

1925

Builder Henry VanderHorst received the contract for the general construction of Hillcrest Elementary School.  [Board of Education Minutes, 1925-1926]

1926

Photograph of building can be found in the supplement “Kalamazoo The Gateway of Educational Opportunity” c.1926. [Kalamazoo Public Library Local History Subject File: Kalamazoo Public Schools - Buildings and Grounds]

1955

Board of Education approved addition to Hillcrest. Architect was M. C. J. Billingham and contractor was Ray Stevens Company. [Board of Education Minutes, 1954-1955, 1955-1956]

1956

Addition was completed. [Board of Education Minutes, 1955-1956]

1970s

Hillcrest Elementary School closed in the early 1970s. [Kalamazoo Gazette, 14 June 1985, page B1, column 1]

1973

Western Michigan University rented Hillcrest Elementary for a day care and tutoring center. [Kalamazoo Gazette, 17 November 1973, page A16, column 5]

1985

Building sold to Kazoo School. [Kalamazoo Gazette, 14 June 1985, page B1, column 1]