Twin Lakes School

Location: (#5 Fractional District, with Cooper Township) - section 25, west side of 12th Street, north of F Avenue

On the 1918 topographic map, this is called Wilson School, although there are brief newspaper references to it as Twin Lakes School in both 1916 and 1918.  It was later officially known as Twin Lakes School and unofficially as Skunk Hollow School. In 1944 it was closed, and the students transferred to Alamo Center School. It reopened for a few years in 1951, then closed again in 1956 when the new Alamo Valley School opened. In 1955 this district consolidated with Oak Grove and Tamarack districts. It was maintained as a private home for some time after that.


1915-16 Helen Rix
1917-18 Mrs. N. Van Buskirk
1921 Mrs. Eagen (probably Mary Egan)
1925-26 Willo Foulk
1927-28 Bessie DeLong - also taught at Finch School
1929-32 Sarah Bourner 
1932-33 Mildred Sliter
1933-36 Mildred Carter
1936-37 Verna Curtis
1937-41 Eleanor Burdick
1941-43 Violet Smith - also taught at Oak Grove School
1943-44 Ruth Reynolds - also taught at HackleyOak Grove and Tamarack Schools
1944-51 Closed
1951-52 Helene Fanberg
1952-53 Myra Flynn
1953-55 Charlotte Doyle



Alamo Township, most northwest corner of Kalamazoo County, Michigan: past and present

  • Snow, Florence
  • Published by the Author, 1958
  • H 977.417 S67, page 46


"Twin Lakes School served Alamo Township children"

  • Kalamazoo Gazette, 5 January 2003, page A13, column 1 - a 1921 photo of students posed outside the school, all identified by name.

Maps and atlases

USGS topographic map for Kalamazoo County, 1918 (Kalamazoo Quadrangle)

  • History Room map case, left drawer #1


History Room Subject File: Twin Lakes School

Teachers' and school officers' directory, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, 1925-55 (title varies)

  • Shelved in a pamphlet box with H 379.774 K149 (History Room Storage)

Share Your Thoughts