Williams School

schools-williams-598

Photo by Sarah Hultmark, c. 1981, History Room Photo File P-1287.

Location: (District #4) - section 20, northeast of the junction of DE Aveue and 2nd Street

The second building on this site was used until 1942 or '43, after which it remained vacant until it was converted to a church in 1958. There is a picture of Williams School on the Williams website.

Teachers

1925-26 Etoile F. Hoffman
1927-28 Naomi Sergeant
1929-30 Rosaleen Haas
1930-31 Melvina E. Hayes
1931-34 Bernice Bissell - also taught at Alamo Center School
1934-36 Marian Knobloch
1936-43 Hazel E. Richards - also taught at Alamo Center and Hackley Schools

Sources

Manuscripts

List of one-room schools still standing in Kalamazoo County in 1982.

  • Hultmark, Sarah
  • Local History Collection, Kalamazoo Public Library

Books

Alamo Township, most northwest corner of Kalamazoo County, Michigan: past and present

  • Snow, Florence
  • Published by the Author, 1958
  • H 977.417 S67, page 46

Articles

"Williams School had a big 1937-38 class"

  • Kalamazoo Gazette, 4 April 1999, page C2, column 2

Maps and atlases

Standard atlas of Kalamazoo County, Michigan

  • Geo. A. Ogle & Co., 1910
  • History Room atlas case, left shelf #1

USGS topographic map for Kalamazoo County, 1918 (Kalamazoo Quadrangle)

  • History Room map case, left drawer, #1

Files

History Room Subject File: Williams School 

Teachers' and school officers' directory, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, 1925-43 (title varies)

  • Shelved in a pamphlet box with H 379.774 K149 (History Room Storage)