Hoover School

schools-hoover-598

Photo by Sarah Hultmark, c. 1981, History Room Photo File P-1266.

Location: Section 16, southwest corner of East Main Street and 30th Street.

Hoover School was named for U.S. President Herbert Hoover. The building, designed by Ernest A. Batterson, was dedicated in November 1930. Occupied by McKercher Rehabilitation Center in 1982. Earlier known as Hipp School.

Sources

Manuscripts

List of one-room schhools still standing in Kalamazoo County in 1982

  • Hultmark, Sarah
  • Manuscript, Local History Collection, Kalamazoo Public Library

Articles

"Hoover School, Comstock, to be dedicated Nov. 7"

  • Kalamazoo Gazette, 5 November 1930

Maps and atlases

USGS topographic map for Kalamazoo County, 1918 (Galesburg Quadrangle)

  • History Room map case, left drawer #1
  • Called Hipp School on this map