Delano School

Location: (District #5) - section 28, southwest corner of E Avenue and North Westnedge. 

 

Land for the school was probably donated by William S. DeLano, who owned the adjacent Delano Homestead, now owned and operated by the Kalamazoo Nature Center. The school closed at the end of the 1943-44 school year and was torn down in 1955.

Teachers 

1925-26 Tina Noordhoek
1927-28 Sarah Bourner
1929-30 Muriel Cronkhite
1930-37 Ruth Hollowell
1937-39 Kathryn Larkin
1939-40 Erdine Sayles
1940-42 Bess Goff
1942-43 Marian Geis
1943-44 Ruth Hollowell

 

Sources

Manuscripts

List of one-room schools still standing in Kalamazoo County in 1982

  • Hultmark, Sarah.
  • Manuscript, Local History Collection, Kalamazoo Public Library

Newspapers

"Looking Back: This one-room school class posed more than a century ago (1890)"

  • Kalamazoo Gazette, 13 June 1999, page B2, column 2
  • "Reunion a surprise for former teacher at Delano" 

    • Kalamazoo Gazette, 19 August 1975, page C1, column 3

    Maps and atlases

    USGS topographic map for Kalamazoo County, 1918 (Kalamazoo Quadrangle)

    • History Room map case, left drawer #1

    Files

    History Room Subject File: Delano School

    Teachers' and school officers' directory, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, 1925-50

    • Shelved in a pamphlet box with H 379.774 K149 (History Room Storage)