Schau School

Location: (District #4, East Cooper) - Section 24, east side of Riverview Drive between D and E Avenues.

 

Probably built in the late 1880s or early 1900s on land donated by Jacob Schau. Closed in 1939. It was sold in the early 1940s and burned down during remodeling. 

Teachers  

1925-26 Fanny Albertson
1927-28 Mabelle Bradford 
1929-32 Jessie Allen
1932-35 Eva W. Hayse
1935-37 Marie Haffenden
1937-39 Lloyd H. Taylor

 

Sources

Manuscripts

List of one-room schools still standing in Kalamazoo County in 1982

  • Hultmark, Sarah.
  • Manuscript, Local History Collection, Kalamazoo Public Library

Articles

"Long time coming: pre-WWII Schau School class to hold reunion"

  • Kalamazoo Gazette, 10 August 1997, page F7, column 1

Maps and atlases

USGS topographic map for Kalamazoo County, 1918 (Kalamazoo Quadrangle)

  • History Room map case, left drawer #1

Files

Teachers' and school officers' directory, Kalamazoo County, Michigan 1925-50
  • Shelved in a pamphlet box with H 379.774 K149 (History Room Storage)