Alamo Avenue School

Location: District #14 - Section 7, west side of Nichols Road at intersection with Alamo Avenue.

School built about 1876, later became part of the Kalamazoo Public School System. In 1953 it was purchased by the Seventh Day Adventist Church and remodeled for use as the Seventh Day Adventist Junior Academy. Ten years later it was demolished and replaced by the present structure on the same site.

Sources

Articles

"Adventists operate new parochial building"

  • Kalamazoo Gazette, 20 April 1963

"Alamo Avenue School had full house in 1945"

  • Kalamazoo Gazette, 25 June 2000, page A4, column 1, includes picture of many students posed in front of the building

Maps and atlases

USGS topographic maps for Kalamazoo County, 1918 (Kalamazoo Quadrangle)

  • History Room map case, left drawer #1
  • School shows as a symbol on this map, but is not named.