Grand Prairie School


Western Michigan University Photograph, WMU-P-1417 
Location: (District #3 Fractional) - Section 7, southeast corner of Grand Prairie Road and Drake Road (12th Street).

Established about 1856. “...its original school outlasted all other one-room schoolhouses in the county.”


1925-27 Mrs. Sarah Bourner

1927-35 Mrs. Bertha Smith

1935-36 Wilma DeYoung

1936-39 Mrs. Molly Smith

1939-43 Mrs. Hazel Sweet

1943-44 Mrs. Bethanna Van

1944-48 Mrs. Georgia Shaw

1948-50 Marianne Luegge

1951-53 Mrs. Muriel L. Cronkhite

1953-55 Mrs. Ruth Gearhart

1955-58 Mrs. Doris V. Chance


The bell from this school is now on permanent display as part of the Core Exhibition in the atrium of the Kalamazoo Valley Museum. For a picture of it and some history, see Museography, Fall 2007, p.13 in the Library's Local History Collection, or the Museum's website (scroll to p.13).



"The end of an era [Grand Prairie School]"

  • Kalamazoo Gazette, 21 June 1959

Maps and atlases

USGS topographic maps for Kalamazoo County, 1918 (Kalamazoo Quadrangle)

  • History Room map case, left drawer #1


Teachers' and School Officers' Directory, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, 1925-1958 (title varies)

  • Shelved in a pamphlet box with H 379.774 K149 (History Room Storage)