Haymarket Historic District

districts-haymarket-540 

The Arcus Depot
Source: Photo by Patrick Jouppi, July 2010

Description

The Haymarket Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on May 27th, 1983. The district is located on Michigan Ave. between Portage St. and the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad. Originally covering 55 acres, the district contained 22 buildings.

In 1990, the Haymarket District underwent a boundary increase of less than an acre, adding four buildings to the district.

In addition to being listed as a national historic district, the Haymarket District also enjoys local historic district status. The boundaries of the local district are slightly larger than those of the national district, encompassing two additional buildings on the southeast corner of Water and Edwards Streets.

National Register Information

The following information reflects the manner in which Haymarket Historic District is categorized by the National Register of Historic Places and the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office.

Subjects:

  • Event
  • Architecture/Engineering
  • Architecture
  • Commerce, Industy

Historic Use:

  • Commerce and Trade

Current Use:

  • Commerce and Trade

Architect/Builder

  • Adler & Sullivan

Owners:

  • Private

Architectural Style:

  • Chicago
  • Classical Revival
  • Colonial Revival
  • Italianate
  • Late Victorian
  • Romanesque

Period of Significance:

  • 1870-1929

National Register Information System Item Number:

  • 83000860 and 89002308 (Boundary Increase)

Prominent Buildings and Structures

Sources

Websites

National Register of Historic Places Official Website--Part of the National Park Service

National Register of Historic Places

The Official Website of the City of Kalamazoo

Michigan.Gov - Center for Geographic Information - Department of Information Technology