Western State Normal School Historic District

districts-western-540 

East Hall, Western Michigan University East Campus
Photo by Patrick Jouppi, July 2010

Description

The Western State Normal School Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 10 August 1990. Also known as East Campus Historic District, the area is bounded by Stadium Drive, Oliver Street, and Davis Street. Covering 688 acres, the district contains 9 buildings and 2 structures.

National Register Information

The following information reflects the manner in which Western State Normal School Historic District is categorized by the National Register of Historic Places and the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office.

Subjects:

  • Event
  • Architecture/Engineering
  • Architecture
  • Education
  • Landscape Architecture

Historic Use:

  • Education - School

Current Use:

  • Education - School

Architect/Builder:

  • Ernest W. Arnold
  • Olmsted Brothers

Owners:

  • State

Architectural Style:

  • Late Gothic Revival
  • Classical Revival
  • Gothic Revival

Period of Significance:

  • 1900-1950

Significant Dates:

  • 1903
  • 1957

National Register Information System Item Number:

  • 90001230

Prominent Buildings and Structures

  • The Little Theater 
  • East Hall
  • West Hall
  • North Hall
  • Walwood Union Building
  • Speech and Hearing Building
  • Vandercook Hall
  • Waldo Stadium

 

 

Compiled by Patrick Jouppi, Kalamazoo Public Library Intern, July 2010

Sources

Websites

National Register of Historic Places Official Website--Part of the National Park Service

National Register of Historic Places

The Official Website of the City of Kalamazoo

Michigan.Gov - Center for Geographic Information - Department of Information Technology