Henderson Park-West Main Hill Historic District

districts-westmain-500 

Henderson Castle
Source: Photo by Mandana Nordbrock, 2008

Description

The Henderson Park-West Main Hill Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 21 July 1995. The district is roughly bounded by W. Main, Thompson, Academy, Monroe, W. Lovell, and Valley Sts. and Prairie Ave. Covering 520 acres, the district contains 134 buildings.

In additon to being listed on the National Register, the Henderson Park-West Main Hill Historic District also enjoys local historic district status. The boundaries of the local district are larger, encorporating seven additional blocks of properties between Michigan Ave., W. Lovell St., and Burrows Rd.

National Register Information

The following information reflects the manner in which Henderson Park-West Main Hill Historic District is categorized by the National Register of Historic Places and the Michigan State Historic Preservation Office.

Subjects:

  • Event
  • Architecture/Engineering
  • Architecture
  • Community Planning and Development'

Historic Use:

  • Domestic - Multiple Dwelling
  • Domestic - Single Dwelling
  • Education - School

Current Use:

  • Domestic - Multiple Dwelling
  • Domestic - Single Dwelling
  • Education - School

Owners:

  • Private
  • Local Government

Architectural Style:

  • Late Victorian
  • Bungalow/Craftsman
  • Classical Revival
  • Colonial Revival
  • Tudor Revival

Period of Significance:

  • 1840-1944

National Register Information System Item Number:

  • 95000871

Prominent Buildings and Structures

Sources

Websites

National Register of Historic Places Official Website--Part of the National Park Service

National Register of Historic Places

The Official Website of the City of Kalamazoo

Michigan.Gov - Center for Geographic Information - Department of Information Technology