The City of Kalamazoo purchased the original 60-acre parcel of land that would become Milham Park in 1910 for $5,000. The following year, the park opened to the public and saw more than 5,000 visitors the first day.
Read the story: Milham Park: Bears, Tourists, and Golf
Kalamazoo Public Library Photograph, P-1205
Today, Milham Park now consists of approximately 120 acres, and is annually visited by over 500,000 people.
Allison Pileggi, Western Michigan University, School of Art, 2010