The Dr. Nathan M. Thomas House, c1900
This house was built by Dr. Nathan M. Thomas in 1835 on the corner of Cass St. and Center St. in Schoolcraft, MI. Dr. Thomas built a new house on the the same location in 1868 and this house was moved to its present location on Cass St. east of U.S. 131. In the interim, the house served as a "station" for the Underground Railroad. Between 1840 and 1860, Dr. Thomas and his wife Pamela Brown Thomas are credited with sheltering between 1,000 and 1,500 escaped slaves on their way to Canada.
Read the story: The Underground Railroad in Kalamazoo
The Dr. Nathan M. Thomas House, 2010
Today, the Nathan M. Thomas House is a registered Michigan Historical Site, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.