19. Band Shell and Ice Cream Stand, ca. 1913
The only known photograph of the “new musical shell” that was built at the beginning of the 1912 season. Located in the southwest corner of the park “facing the picnic gounds, away from all noise,” the structure provided a sounding board to help amplify and project the sound of vocalists and the popular string and brass orchestras of Charles Fischer, Herman Salomon, Sherman Haas and others. Note the ice cream stand on the far right. See the previous image (#18) for a view of the park as seen from this band shell.