Kalamazoo Public Library Announces the Winners of the 11 Annual Teen Filmmaker Festival
Feb 26, 2014 02:20:53 PM
Kalamazoo, MI –
Kalamazoo Public Library wishes to congratulate the winners of the 11th Annual Teen Filmmaker Festival, which took place at the State Theatre, on Sunday, February 23. The Teen Filmmaker Festival presents the best teen-produced and directed films of 2014. Nearly one hundred films were submitted from teens, ages 12-19 from across Michigan, with the highest concentration of them coming from Kalamazoo County. This also marks the first year that films submitted from female directors outnumbered male directors. More than 400 people came to the State Theatre to view the films and vote for their favorites.
Three expert judges awarded prizes for best film, best animation, best experimental film, best documentary, best short film (under three minutes), best technical merit, best music video, and judges’ choice. Audience members voted for a people’s choice award.
Award Category/Prize Awarded/Film Director
- Grand Prize Best Film, Best Animation (won $1,000 B&H Photo Gift Card and $50 Best Buy Gift Card)Eros and Psyche Haley Labian
- Best Experimental Film (won $50 Best Buy Gift Card) Almond Eyes Samuel Peters and Jake Lamons
- People's Choice, Judge's Choice (won $50 Best Buy Gift Card and a $250 B&H Photo Gift Card) The Worst Christmas Nathan Ginter
- Best Short Film (won $50 Best Buy Gift Card) Fireworks Alexi Mitchell
- Best Technical Merit, Best Music Video (won two $50 Best Buy Gift Cards) Gull Lake Winter 2013 Jake Lamons
- Best Cinematic Merit (won $50 Best Buy Gift Card)Far Beyond the Reservoir Jonathan D'Ambrosio
2014 Finalists: The following are the official selections for the 2014 Teen Filmmaker Festival
- Gull Lake Winter2013 Jake Lamons
- The Home of Magic Nathan Ginter
- Title Here Madelyn Momano
- Spun Cassie Ward, Hunter Thomas, Emily Suzor, and Maureen Reed
- Proper Pets Alec Elzinga
- The Robbery Ryan Bare
- Interview with a Serial Killer Kyle Misak
- Fireworks Alexi Mitchell
- Love is Garbage Kaitlyn Ludeker
- A Chronicle of Western Swordsmanship Austin Patrie
- Seabiscuit Claire Abdo
- Home Alone Betsy Eaton
- Far Beyond the Reservoir Jonathan D'Ambrosio
- A Tale of Two Sisters Remearis Brown
- Macho Banana Stephen Hull
- Mutts of Motown Emily Livermore
- Out of the Frying Pan Luke Spangler
- Move Along Music Video Regan Tyre
- The Worst Christmas Nathan Ginter
- Running Cameron Sleeper
- Almond Eyes Samuel Peters, Jake Lamons
- Wake Me Up Hannah Grabowski
- Eros and Psyche Haley Labian
- The Butterfly Effect Yazmine Vargas
Kalamazoo’s Public Media Network recorded the Teen Filmmaker Festival. PMN will broadcast entries chosen for the festival, awards presentations, and interviews with the winners. Check http://www.publicmedianet.org for broadcast dates and times. The films will also be available for viewing on KPL’s website.
The Teen Filmmaker Festival is cosponsored by Kalamazoo Public Library, Kalamazoo Institute of Arts, Public Media Network, the Kalamazoo State Theatre, Campaign Pictures and Alamo Draft House.
Special thanks to the Kalamazoo State Theatre for hosting the 11th Annual Filmmaker Festival.
Post a Comment