News, comments, resources, and more for nonprofits.
Just ONEthing - Feb 2014
Every month, we learn much from the participants and presenters we meet at ONEplace. In Just ONEthing… we highlight an insight gained during the past month from our nonprofit community and its partners.
This month's insight comes from our Monthly Giving workshop. During the workshop, Daren Wendell (Executive Director of Active Water) described his three-year journey developing a monthly giving program. The ONEthing I pulled from his presentation is the need to do many little things – meticulously, consistently, and relentlessly. No one thing is difficult, but the discipline to persevere and stay on top of things poses perhaps the greatest challenge.
What does Daren do? Here’s a sampling:
- Takes a long-term view (3-4 years) and expects to go slow at the beginning
- Receipt automatically emailed to every online donor
- Daren calls every donor who gives a one-time gift (i.e., not monthly program)
- Daren calls every monthly donor once per quarter
- Special monthly email newsletter to monthly givers (includes personal note from Daren)
- High-level monthly givers receive an annual gift reflective of their mission
- Monthly givers living locally are invited to visit the office to meet others and see pictures of programs
- Board members gather to call & thank every donor at Thanksgiving time
- Daren invests in and power-uses a quality donor management system – like having another staff member
Among the many benefits of a monthly giving program are consistent, predictable monthly income and the ability to set more accurate goals on other campaigns.