The book selection process continued Reading Together’s tradition of democratic community participation. A large group of community members considered dozens of titles gathered from last year’s evaluation process, suggested by library patrons, staff, and community leaders, and recommended by librarians and educators.
Committee members read and discussed the suggested titles with these guidelines in mind.
A good Reading Together book features:
- an author who will come to Kalamazoo during the Reading Together period;
- beautiful prose that fosters an appreciation of literature;
- availability in multiple formats such as large print, audio recording, paperback;
- reading level, vocabulary, length, and subject matter that appeals to adults as well as high school and college students;
- treatment of social issues relevant to our community.