Submit Your Designs
Kalamazoo Public Library invites illustrators, typographers and designers of all ages to choose the Reading Together book cover they would like to redesign and submit their artwork digitally. See the rules below for image submission requirements.
Deadline: Friday, February 3, 5 pm EST
Reading Together Titles
1. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, Reading Together 2003
2. Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich, Reading Together 2004
3. The Color of Water by James McBride, Reading Together 2005
4. The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien, Reading Together 2006
5. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon, Reading Together 2007
6. Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingolver, Reading Together 2008
7. The Prince of Frogtown by Rick Bragg, Reading Together 2009
8. Ava’s Man by Rick Bragg, Reading Together 2009
9. All Over but the Shoutin’ by Rick Bragg, Reading Together 2009
10. Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson, Reading Together 2010
11. Strength in What Remains by Tracy Kidder, Reading Together 2011
12. Into the Beautiful North by Luis Urrea, Reading Together 2012
13. The Submission by Amy Waldman, Reading Together 2013
14. The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee’s, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan, Reading Together 2014
15. Farm City: The Education of an Urban Farmer by Novella Carpenter, Reading Together 2014
16. The Living Great Lakes: Searching for the Heart of the Inland Seas by Jerry Dennis, Reading Together 2015
17. Orphan Train by Christina Kline, Reading Together 2016
18. Writings on the Wall: Searching for a New Equality Beyond Black and White by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Reading Together 2017
Recovering the Classics Art Show
Your artwork will be displayed on the library's website beginning Monday, February 13 and ending Monday, February 27 at 5 pm EST. During that time, online votes from the public will be collected. Voters can vote for their top three choices. Winners will be announced at Art Hop on Friday, March 3 at Central Library (315 South Rose Street). Art Hop begins at 7 pm. The top ten Reading Together recovers will be exhibited as part of the Recovering the Classics display on March 3.
1st Prize: Wacom Tablet
2 runner-up prizes: $30 gift cards to Dick Blick
- Artists may submit artwork for more than 1 book cover
- Artists ages 14 and up are welcome to participate
Please submit a completed design to the KPL website (kpl.gov) within the following parameters:
- Finished design should be 11” wide x 17” tall.
(If you are submitting a hard copy of your work, you will need to drop it off at the receptionist desk on the 3rd floor, it will be scanned, then printed for presentation if you have a winning design for our event)
- Digital file formats accepted: PDF or JPG.
- File must have a resolution of 300 dpi/ppi.
- Color mode must be CMYK.
- File naming: EXAMPLE — janedoe_RRT_booktitle.pdf
- Files need to be uploaded (submission form below) by February 3, 2017.
- Double-check your spelling
- The KPL reserves the right to censor content that supports violence.
- Must respect copyright laws with imagery used in your work.
- This could be a GREAT portfolio piece for you!
Upon submitting your work, your designs will be featured on the KPL’s website from February, 13, 2017 until February 27, 2017 for a two week community voting period. Design will be voted-on and winners will be announced on March 3, 2017 at our Art Hop event.
About Recovering the Classics
Kalamazoo Public Library is participating in Recovering the Classics – a crowd-sourced collection of original covers for great works in the public domain. Many of the greatest classics in public domain have been left with poorly designed or auto-generated covers that fail to capture what makes these books exciting and inspiring to us. Recovering Classics invited illustrators, typographers, and designers of all stripes to create new covers for 100 of the greatest works in the public domain. Libraries across the country art participating in showcasing these redesigned book covers. Learn more at recoveringtheclassics.com.