Each year, Reading Together invites the community to suggest titles for the next book. Program participants, library patrons, staff, community leaders, educators, and librarians typically recommend dozens of titles. A selection committee reviews the suggestions with these guidelines in mind.
A good Reading Together book features:
- An author who will come to Kalamazoo during Reading Together
- Beautiful prose that fosters an appreciation of literature
- Availability in multiple formats such as large print, audio recording, ebook
- Reading level, vocabulary, length, and subject matter that appeals to adults as well as high school and college students
- Treatment of social issues relevant to our community
A short list of possible titles emerges from this review. Selection committee members read all books on the short list, meet to discuss the contenders, then select a favorite and one or two other possibilities. The Reading Together coordinator then begins the process of booking the author.