Charting KPL’s Future
Kalamazoo Public Library launched a strategic planning process early in 2010 to consider current, anticipated, and possible future community needs—then determine which of those needs KPL can help meet.
Working with a highly regarded library strategic planner, we learned what library services are most needed and valued in Kalamazoo, keeping in mind resources available from other organizations.
Following are the four overarching services, goals and specific objectives that will guide KPL’s work through 2016.
Learn more about the strategic planning process.
Create Young Readers and Learners
Children from birth to kindergarten will have materials, programs, and digital opportunities designed to ensure they will enter school ready to learn.
- Young children will check out more easy readers, picture and board books.
- More young children will attend library programs, visit the Children’s Room and utilize digital tools.
Parents and caregivers will have the tools and skills needed to prepare young children (birth to 5) to learn when they enter school.
- Parents and caregivers will say they are satisfied with the collections, programs, and physical space at the library.
- Parents and caregivers will attend library programs designed to give them the tools to help their children.
Reading, Viewing, Listening, and Creating for Pleasure
Residents of all ages will have access to materials, programs and services designed to enhance their leisure time.
- Patrons of all ages will check out more fiction, nonfiction, music, and movies.
- More youth will attend library programs and play the summer reading game.
- Teens, tweens and adults will say they are satisfied with the collections, programs, and physical space at the library.
- Adults, teens and tweens will say they found something good to read, listen to, or view at the library.
- Adults, teens and tweens will attend or participate in programs or outreach events sponsored or co-sponsored by the library.
Connect to the Digital World
Access and Digital Literacy
Everyone in Kalamazoo will have free high-speed internet access in the library and digital opportunities tailored to their needs.
- More people will use library computers, wireless network, and digital lab.
- Library users will say they are satisfied with digital technology, the library’s website, social media, and other digital resources at the library.
Discover and Celebrate Local
History, Genealogy, Information, and Culture
Residents and visitors will have the resources, tools and programs necessary to understand and appreciate all aspects of the Kalamazoo community including its past, present, and future.
- Residents and visitors will have the resources, tools, and programs to understand and appreciate local and family histories and the culture unique to Kalamazoo.
- More people will access digitized local history collections each year.
- More people will attend locally focused programs or outreach events sponsored or co-sponsored by the library.