Millage Renewal Approved
On May 6, 2014, Kalamazoo Public Library asked voters to renew its current millage at the current rate of 1.1801 for another 20 years.
The request was approved by a 3-to-1 margin.
YES VOTES: 6,317
NO VOTES: 2,055
(MLive / Kalamazoo Gazette, 5/6/2014)
Kalamazoo voters have a long history of supporting their library. With that strong support, KPL provides a rich variety of services to library users.
Americans love their public libraries. In fact, according to a 2013 PEW Internet study, public libraries received a 94% approval rating by the American public.
So far this fiscal year*, KPL has circulated...
- 636,977 books, including...
- 325,886 adult books
- 264,185 children’s books
- 46,906 teen books
- 520,431 movies, 68,031 music CDs, 25,824 audiobooks
- 7,427 Freegal music downloads, 3,630 Hoopla media streams
- 27,187 ebooks, and 9,104 eaudiobooks.
- 46,242 people have attended library programs:
- 7,900 people have attended 228 adult programs
- 7,135 people have attended 199 teen and tween programs
- 19,205 people have attended 302 children's (ages 6-11) programs
- 12,002 people have attended 489 children's (ages birth-5) programs.
- 119,777 people have used public computers, and 7,840 unique users have accessed wireless internet.
KPL’s circulation exceeds the state average by 36.5% and KPL’s materials turnover rate exceeds the state average by nearly 63%. Learn more...
What's the library worth to you?
What would you have to pay for the library services your tax dollars provide – like legal clinics, storytimes, concerts, author visits, books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, and more?