KPL provides access to the Internet via a high speed wireless network at all KPL locations during open hours.
How to Connect
To connect, you will need a wireless enabled laptop, tablet PC or PDA. All visitors may use KPL’s network free of charge. No encryption settings, user names, or passwords are required. However, you must agree to abide by the library’s Internet Use Policy to connect. After you click the I Agree button, you will be taken to Kalamazoo Public Library’s website.
A laptop computer with WiFi cabability that supports the WiFi standard, IEEE 802.11b or g. Your laptop battery should be charged for portable use.
Quick Setup Settings
- SSID (network name) = KPLWiFi (case sensitive)
If you aren’t able to connect, you may need to adjust the following settings:
- WEP — disable WEP encryption
- Mode or Network Type — Access Point
- DHCP — Obtain an IP address automatically
- DNS — Obtain DNS server address automatically
Windows 7 & Vista Network Settings
- Right-click on the network icon (looks like two small screens).
- Click Connect to a Network.
- Select KPLWiFi, click Connect.
- If prompted with a warning message, click Connect Anyway.
Windows XP & 2000 Network Settings
- From Control Panel, select Network and Dial-up Connections or Network and Internet Connections.
- Right-click on Wireless Network Connection or Local Area Connection and click Properties.
- Locate the internet TCP/IP protocol and click Properties. If more than one TCP/IP protocol is listed, look for the one associated with your wireless adapter.
- Select Obtain an IP address automatically and Obtain DNS server address automatically.
- For XP, right-click on Wireless Network Connection and select View Available Wireless Networks. Select KPLWiFi, click Connect.
Windows NT Network Settings
- From Control Panel, double click on Network.
- Locate the internet TCP/IP protocol and double click Properties. If more than one TCP/IP protocol is listed, look for the one associated with your wireless adapter.
- Select Obtain an IP address from a DHCP server; click OK.
- From Control Panel, select Internet Options, click Connections. If you also have a dial-up connection, it should not be set to Always Dial. LAN Settings should be Automatically detect settings. Leave Proxy server settings blank.
Macintosh Network Settings (OS X)
- Select Apple menu, then System Preference, then Network.
- Select TCP/IP tab and configure Using DHCP
- Above the TCP/IP tab, you may need to configure via AirPort or other wireless (WiFi) Ethernet.
- Leave Domain Name Servers and Search Domains blank.
KPL provides limited computer support at the Central Library, Monday-Thursday, 1 pm-9 pm, and Friday-Saturday, 1 pm- 5 pm. During those times, skilled interns can answer your basic questions, such as how to connect to the library’s wireless network.
We cannot guarantee that you will be able to use KPL’s WiFi. Some helpful information may be found online at WiFi FAQ. For additional help, please contact your laptop manufacturer.
KPL cannot guarantee the safety of your traffic across the library’s wireless network. Information sent to or from your laptop can be captured by anyone with a wireless device and appropriate software, within up to 300 feet from library buildings.
The library is not responsible for any changes you make to your computer’s settings to use KPL’s wireless network or for the security or integrity of files on your laptop resulting from connection to the network.