Since 2012, the ONEplace Nonprofit Leader Academy has offered emerging community leaders an in-depth exploration of leadership within a nonprofit organization.
The goal of the Academy is to develop executive leadership within the nonprofit context. This includes those envisioning an executive director position in their future as well as those considering other high level leadership positions.
Ideal Academy candidates are currently employed by a Kalamazoo County nonprofit organization, and…
- The candidate currently supervises one or more individuals
- The candidate has the time to fully participate in the Academy
- The candidate has the support of his/her direct supervisor and executive director
- The candidate’s organization has an annual budget of at least $300,000 and engages an active fundraising program
During the Academy, a variety of local experts and practitioners guide the participants through subject matter critical to nonprofit leadership as well as personal development activities vital to being a leader. As a result, participants discover their own leadership qualities and challenges through assessments, group discussion, and various participative exercises, and develop a plan for future steps toward leadership.
Each participant works with a mentor for the duration of the Academy. The mentor (usually a current executive director) and participant meet to further discuss topics raised in class and other related issues. These relationships allow students to assimilate material into their own experience and learn the interrelationships of issues from someone in the field.
The Academy includes nine full-day sessions (8:30 am – 4 pm). Sessions are held once a month beginning in February and concluding in November (one session during July/August; exact dates are on the application). Sessions will be held in a retreat-like setting, and it is expected that participants will be present for the entirety of every session. An orientation session will be held in December.
Prospective participants are encouraged to attend ONEplace Management Track workshops offered throughout the year to prepare for and supplement this intensive Academy.
Application now available as PDF or Word document
- October 27 and November 2 – Academy Information Sessions (one hour - not required)
- November 11 – Applications due by 5 pm
- November 18 – Notification of acceptance (maximum of 16)
- November 30 – Commitments to Participate due by 5 pm
Questions may be directed to ONEplace staff – firstname.lastname@example.org or 269-553-7899.