Weekly Specials, News & More
We’re running a ½ price sale on all our VHS videos. We have a large selection of videos including popular movies, Walt Disney movies, nature videos and more. Individual videos are only 50¢ and sets are ½ off too.
Poetry is also being featured this week. Select poetry is ½ off. We have also refilled our shelves with a lot of “new” poetry. There is much to choose from.
We are now accepting credit and debit cards! We listened when you said you wanted to be able to use your credit and debit cards to buy books at the store. It’s a fact that most of us have become used to paying with plastic. Many of us rarely carry cash anymore, which makes shopping at a “cash only” store a bit challenging. Starting tomorrow, there’s no need to stop at the ATM to make sure you have cash or to remember to bring along your checkbook. When the store opens on Wednesday you may use your MasterCard, Visa, and Discover for your purchases. A minimum purchase of $5.00 will be necessary to use a credit or debit card.
This week in the bookstore:
• A select group of paperback and hard cover mystery is priced at only 50¢ each – try a new author
• A 2000 World Book Encyclopedia Set (22 volumes) for $50.00
• DVDs and CDs for only $2.50 each
• Great Art books!
• James Patterson’s 12th of Never, Clive Cussler’s Zero Hour, and Nora Robert’s Whiskey Beach, along with many other new releases
“Books are everywhere; and always the same sense of adventure fills us. Second-hand books are wild books, homeless books; they have come together in vast flocks of variegated feather, and have a charm which the domesticated volumes of the library lack. Besides, in this random miscellaneous company we may rub against some complete stranger who will, with luck, turn into the best friend we have in the world.”
― Virginia Woolf, Street Haunting
I love both the “wild, homeless books” and the “domesticated volumes” and happily we have access to both at KPL and Friends of KPL. Plan to visit this week, the adventure awaits you! ~ Carol
Literary (Trade) Fiction is still 1/2 off this week.
- All literary fiction (a.k.a. trade fiction) is ½ off – normally $2.00, only $1.00 this week!
- Lots more great art books
- A wonderful selection of music book; books about music, instrument construction, and musicians
- Great donations this week means great choices for you!
We’ve put together a couple of great collections in the bookstore this week. We received an awesome donation of art books recently. You’ll find art by Diego Rivera, Cezanne, Magritte, Gauguin, and many others. You’ll also find a bit of how to – art technique books and books on design and architecture.
The second special collection we put out is what we call “Hobbies and How to” this category consists of books on crafts, games, collectibles, home improvement, needlecraft, and photography. You’re sure to find something to inspire you here.
If local history interests you; if you enjoy reading about local people, architecture, ecology, and events, both past and present, you’ll want to take a look at our Michigan Books collection. Here are just a few of the books you’ll find in the store when we open on Wednesday:
• Kalamazoo: Nineteenth Century Homes in a Midwestern Village by Schmitt and Korab – Beautiful photographs that provide an inventory of historic homes in Kalamazoo
• The Events of October by Griffin - The story of a devastating murder on the campus of Kalamazoo College
• A 1000 Mile Walk on the Beach by Niewenhuis – One woman’s trek of the perimeter of Lake Michigan
• Cooper Trails and Iron Rails by Massie – A fascinating look at Michigan’s history
• Michigan Gardener’s Guide by Boland, Coit, and Hair – The what, where, when, how & why of Michigan gardening
Super Saturday Sidewalk Sale is this Saturday! I love this sale and this day in downtown Kalamazoo. There’s so much going on in Kzoo that day; the book sale, Do Dah Parade, Greek Fest, and so much more. The energy level is high and everywhere you look people are having a good time! Come enjoy the fun, stock up on books for 10¢ each or bring a grocery-size bag and fill it up for $2.00. When you buy books in the sale you get a coupon to use in the store. And don’t make the mistake of neglecting the store on Saturday, you’ll find all sorts of great deals inside too. If you read my blog or if you read this on Facebook, take a minute and say hi if you see me. I love to make those personal connections with other book lovers!
The Friends Super Saturday Sidewalk Sale is coming very soon. The sale takes place during June Jubilee Weekend on Saturday, June 8
. You can start gathering up your book bargains at 9:00 a.m. but you need to be done by 4:00 p.m. Prices have remained at our super low sale prices –books are 10¢ each or you can buy a bag full for $2.00. You may buy a grocery bag for $2.00 (while supplies last) and fill it up, or bring your own bags. There will be thousands of books available. Categories of books will include fiction, children’s books, science fiction, romance, and nonfiction. You will also be able to buy cds, videos, and audio books at these great low prices. Call us at 269-553-7820 with questions.
Come on down and see us this week. We put out lots of new stuff on Monday and Tuesday. If you’re here at noon on Wednesday you’ll get first pick of all the new books shelved this week. But we put out new books almost every day so any day is a good day to shop at the Friends Bookstore.
Our science-fiction BOGO continues this week – with new books added daily. We put out a lot of great science and nature this week and also have a $1.00 science and nature cart with lots of bargains on it. You’ll also find sale carts of military history and black studies, both marked 1/2 off.