Weekly Specials, News & More
Recently a customer stopped me in the store to tell me how much he enjoyed shopping at the bookstore. His comments stayed with me and I thought I would share them with you. He remarked that what he likes about the bookstore is that it combines the best of two worlds for him. He loves ”the thrill of the hunt,” never knowing what treasure he might discover, finding unusual subjects and titles or maybe a book read and loved many years ago, these are the things he feels create the essence of a good used bookstore, but he also really appreciates being able to shop in a store that is a well-organized, bright, space that also contains a great selection of many current titles and best sellers. I have to say I agree with him.
This week: The BOGO special continues on select popular authors and in response to your requests, we now have a selection of audio books on tape back in the store.
Buy one get one freethis week on select recent titles (2012 and 2013) by popular authors. Authors include: Barbara Taylor Bradford, Mary Higgins Clark, Janet Evanovich, Sue Grafton, Iris Johansen, Jonathon Kellerman, Fern Michaels, James Paterson, and Stuart Woods. Such a deal!
Our featured authors this week are J.A. Jance, Karen Kingsbury, and Tracie Peterson. We feature an author when we have a big collection of their work. Karen Kingsbury and Tracie Petersen are popular Christian Fiction writers. If you enjoy this genre, come peruse our extensive Christian Fiction section.
We also have a large selection of “Inspirational Romance” in large print. This is something we don’t see very often so if this is your cup of tea, come see us this week.
We put out lots of great new stuff this week. Check out Science, History, Biography and Psychology / Self-Help especially for interesting new titles. We have 2 featured categories this week. You’ll find a cart of Religion books in the center aisle filled with a diverse and unusual collection of books on religion. The other category of books we’re featuring is cookbooks, but not just any cookbooks. This week we pulled together a collection of all the Spiral-Bound Church and Community Fundraiser Cookbooks we could find. These cookbooks, priced at $1.00 each often contain regional specialties and in the older ones you may find long-forgotten recipes from days gone by. We look forward to seeing you soon.
This is the last week of the first month of 2014. It is time to evaluate the progress made on month-old New Year’s resolutions. Or maybe not. Perhaps you didn’t make any resolutions this year. Possibly you’ve been considering what it is you really want to resolve to do. Let me offer 10 Friendly Resolutions for you to consider. These resolutions are easy to keep, they’ll save you money, and you will be helping yourself and others. Here they are:
1. Tell two friends about the bookstore
2. Shop at the Bag-of-Books Sales in:
3. Shop at the bookstore once a month
4. Bring a friend to the bookstore on one of your visits
5. Read the bookstore’s blog to learn more about weekly specials
6. Renew, and consider upgrading, your membership in the Friends of KPL
7. Invite a friend to join FKPL
8. Attend the annual meeting of Friends
9. Try a new author –at these prices you can afford to take a chance
10. Mark the day after Thanksgiving on your calendar as the public opening of our annual Gift Book Sale. (You will have already had a sneak preview on Tuesday afternoon before Thanksgiving if you are a member.)
The Friends Winter Bag-of Books Sale is this Saturday. The selection is great. The people are friendly. The prices are fantastic. You won’t want to miss it. It’s this Saturday (1/25/14) from 9:00 – 3:30 at the library. There will be many thousands of books separated by category, all priced at 10¢ each or $2.00 for a grocery-size bag filled right to top. I encourage you to bring you own sturdy reusable bags. Come early for the best selection or later for more leisurely shopping. Call (269) 553-7820 with questions.
It looks like it’s going to be a long cold winter. It seems like it’s going to be the kind of winter that requires a lot of good books to keep me happy and contented while I wait for warmer weather. If you feel the way I do you’ll be glad to know that January 25th is the first Bag-of-Books Sale of 2014. Here is the important information that you’ll need to know.
• Sale Date: Saturday, January, 25, 2014
• Location: Central Library, 315 S. Rose Street
• Time: 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
• What: Books separated by category, including: fiction & mystery (hard cover and paperback), science fiction, romance, nonfiction, audiobooks, also videos and CDs.
• Price: 10¢ a book or $2.00 for as many books as you can fit in a grocery-size bag.
• What else: We encourage you to bring your own sturdy bag, but you can purchase a brown paper grocery bag from us for $2.00 and fill it with books.
Call us if you have any question at 553-7820.
The Friends Bookstore is opening on Wednesday 1/8/14 after being closed for a week. Our volunteers spent that week making some changes that we hope will improve your shopping experience.
We’d like to welcome you back to our new and improved bookstore with a couple great sales.
SALE - January 8 – 11
All Trade Edition Fiction (larger paperback) is 50% OFF*
All Premium Edition Fiction (bigger than Mass-Market & smaller than Trade) is 50% OFF
*excludes books on “New Arrivals” bookshelf
Friends Bookstore will be closed until January 8. Wishing you a very happy New Year!
We will be open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday this week. All of next week we will be closed. When we reopen on Wednesday, January 8th we will be reorganized and reinvigorated and ready for the new year.
Are you traveling over the holidays? Long drives are the perfect time to enjoy an audio book. We just received a big selection of books on CD. We have a lot of fiction and mystery and a smattering of very good nonfiction too. As always the prices are hard to beat.
Are you still gift shopping? We still have quite a few gift-quality books. In addition to the special “gift-quality” books there are many wonderful books on our shelves that would make great gifts.
• The week of the 16th – open all week – regular schedule
• The week of the 23rd – Closed on the 25th and open the 26th, 27th, and 28th
• The week of the 30th - CLOSED ALL WEEK