Indian Fields, Rockney School

Location: District #1 - Section 11, south side of Milham Road, between Portage Road and Sprinkle Road.

Located on what is now the Kalamazoo/Battle Creek International Airport. The original school was built by Elijah Root about 1834. It was replaced by a brick building in 1856 and was known as Indian Fields School. Later (at least by the 1930s) it was called Rockney School.

Teachers

1925-26 Irene Lewis

1927-28 Mrs. Blanche Harsha

1929-32 Ruth Elwell

1932-33 Roy McIntyre

1933-35 Mrs. Muriel Cronkhite

1935-36 J. R. Schmidt

1936-38 Russell Eaton

1938-39 Evelyn Coyne

1939-41 Walter Nidy

1941-42 Walter Nidy, Mrs. Lois Carlisle

1942-43 no listing

1943-44 Mrs. Rozelda Brewer

1944-45 Mrs. Esther Richards

1945-46 Mrs. Rozelda Brewer

1947      Absorbed into Portage Agricultural School Portage Township Schools, which then became Portage Township Schools.

Sources

Books

Portage and Its Past, b Grace J. Potts, 1976
H 977.417 P871
 

Articles

"Rockney School had more than 50 students: 1938-39" (photograph)

  • Kalamazoo Gazette, 7 March 1999, page F2 , column 2 

Maps and atlases

USGS topographic map for Kalamazoo County, 1922/1950 (Schoolcraft Quadrangle)

  • History Room map case, left drawer #1
  • This shows as a school symbol on this map, but is not named.

Files

Teachers' and School Officers' Directroy, Kalamazoo County, Michigan, 1925-1947 (title varies)

Shelved in a pamphlet box with H 379.774 K149 (History Room Storage)