Gourdneck Prairie School
Location: District #6 - Section 14, southeast corner of V Avenue and Portage Road.
This building was constructed in 1870, just north of Gourdneck Prairie Cemetery on land donated by Joseph Frakes, who is buried in the adjacent cemetery, along with other members of this pioneer family. It was later called Webber School, after members of the Webber family who owned adjoining land for many years. The school became part of the Vicksburg Community School District in the 1947 consolidation, and was last used for regular classes in 1957-58. Building still standing in 2011.
List of one-room schools still standing in Kalamazoo County in 1982
- Hultmark, Sarah.
- Manuscript, Local History Collection, Kalamazoo Public Library
- Misidentified on this list as "Brick School," even though the sign in the photo clearly identifies it as Gourdneck Prairie School.
- Kalamazoo Gazette, 19 October 1969, page 12, column 4
Maps and atlases
USGS Topographic Maps for Kalamazoo County, 1922/1950 (Schoolcraft Quadrangle)
- History Room map case, left drawer #1
- The location of this school has been reversed with Brick School on this map.