The Hiker, Bronson Park, 1946
This sculpture, located in the northeast corner of Bronson Park, was dedicated in 1946 by the Kalamazoo chapter of the United Spanish War Veterans of Michigan. Known as "The Hiker", it was sculpted by Theo Alice Ruggles Kitson in 1924. The sculpture has been widely used to commemorate the Spanish American War, and over 100 copies of the statue exist across the United States.
The Hiker, Bronson Park, 2010
Today, The Hiker still stands in the NE corner of Bronson Park, but the original stone pedestal and inscription has been removed. Instead, the statue now stands upon a large boulder with an attached plaque.